Saturday 4 February 2017

PERSONAL STATEMENT ON OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY BSC

Sincerely speaking, I didn’t set out to pursue a career in OT. In fact, I always had a difficult time trying to figure out the right career for me and through my Parents’ advice; I made a decision to pursue a degree in Business. However, I still wanted to pursue a course that I will have passion doing it. Since high school, I used to spend my holidays at my nephews place. I used to feel very comfortable staying there because I would help him with most of the strenuous chores. It was very unfortunate that my nephew was born with a condition known as Spinal Bifida that meant his spine was weak to support his body. He has to use a wheelchair to move and in addition, he must support himself using hand rails when taking a shower.
My nephew always enjoyed my presence as he would feel loved when I assisted him to exercise and carry out simple activities. I have always felt joy in my heart whenever I assist people with disabilities. My nephew has always told me that non-judgmental, whole-hearted and caring individuals are rare gems and a blessing from God. He has been advising me to pursue a course in medicine as I have the right traits to take care of patients and disabled people. Sometimes, I feel that things happen for a reason and ever since my elder brother was involved in an accident, I have been helping him rejuvenate his memory. He tends to forget a lot and I must ensure that I support him in the best way possible as he recovers from the brain injury.  I have bought my brother a diary which he can record important appointments, to do list and other crucial events. In addition I have ensured that he always remembers to carry his phone by buying him a neck phone holder.
The two experiences with my nephew and elder brother has helped me develop passion for assisting and caring for the less fortunate individuals. Moreover, I have made a step further to prepare myself for a career in Occupational Therapy through undertaking a short NHS urs course for a period of one month. This course has allowed me to get hands on experience in a more professional environment.  During my short period shadowing an occupational therapist, I have understood the nature of this profession in a better way.

 I firmly believe that if the university gives me the chance to pursue a course in Occupational Therapy, I will advance my skills and become a qualified Occupational Therapist. The main reason, I wish to pursue this career is because I want to make a difference in our country and encourage people to show love and provide the right support and care to individuals who have disabilities or abnormal conditions. Secondly, I have finally realized that I have passion in helping and engaging victims in activities that can improve their condition.  I firmly believe that qualifying as an OT will drive me to make the most of my abilities and skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment